Harris County Public Library has some great tips on keeping cool, as temperatures rise:
- Stay indoors as much as possible. If you don’t have air conditioning, stay in the coolest part of the house and use electric fans.
- Drink plenty of water regularly, even if you don’t feel thirsty. Your body needs fluids to keep cool. Avoid beverages with caffeine and alcohol.
- Slow down. Avoid strenuous activity. If you work outside, do it during the coolest part of the day.
- Eat smaller meals, but eat more often.
- Wear loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing and a hat.
- Always use sunscreen. Sunburn makes the body’s job of keeping cool more difficult.
- Although all are vulnerable to excessive heat, be sure to check on the elderly, children, and those who are ill as they are particularly at risk.
- Ensure that your pets are provided with shade and adequate water.