MECA helping youths for 30 years
— Houston Chronicle2
The nonprofit organization started at St. Joseph Catholic Church, but
moved in 1993 to the three-story, 45,000-square-foot Dow Elementary
School in 1993. The Old Sixth Ward Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone’s
board purchased the school from Houston ISD for MECA on Jan. 7, 2004.
• Until Nov. 24: Day of the Dead mask artists, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; free
• Nov. 9-30: Celebrating the Life and Passion of Frida Kahlo
• Nov. 9: Frida Kahlo’s 100th birthday celebration performances, 7 p.m.
• Dec. 7: La Pastorela by La Camerata Teatral de Guadalajara, in collaboration with the Mexican Consulate, 7 p.m.; free
• Dec. 10-11: Winter Recitals: Classical Violin and Guitar, 7 p.m.; admission is $1 for children and $2 for adults
• Dec. 12: Cullen Trust for the Performing Arts Concert Series presents Fiesta Guadalupana exhibit with contributions from Houston artists, 7 p.m.; free
• Dec. 13-14: Winter Recitals: Contemporary Dance, 7 p.m.; admission is $1 for children and $2 for adults
All events are at the former Dow School, 1900 Kane. For details, call 713-802-9370.
2 = article may expire in a few weeks