Found on the Houston Public Library Web site:
Public: Parents with questions about temporarily enrolling children in Houston-area schools can call a hotline at 713-892-6699 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Houston Independent School District (HISD): “with approval from the Texas Education Agency, is accepting students from the areas ravaged by Hurricane Katrina who have come to Houston seeking shelter… For assistance in identifying the closest school to your location, call 713-892-6699 weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.” (www.hisd.org, 713-892-6000)
- Spring Branch Independent School District: “School-age children in families displaced by Hurricane Katrina may be enrolled in Spring Branch ISD during their temporary relocation… For more information, call SBISD’s Office of Administration at 713-464-1511, ext. 2339, or contact Eloise Hambright-Brown, Director of External Funding and Compliance, at 713-464-1511, ext. 2514.” www.springbranchisd.com
Private: Displaced children who attended private schools in the Gulf Coast area can call 713-512-3685 for help finding a campus.
Parochial: Displaced Catholic school students should call the Catholic Schools Office at 713-741-8704.
- Rice University – will offer Houston-area undergraduates enrolled at Tulane University the opportunity to take fall semester classes at Rice on a space-available basis. Call (713) 348-7423 for more information.
- Texas Southern University – will admit any student currently enrolled for the Fall 2005 semester and will hire displaced faculty, where needed, who are from any institution affected by the hurricane. Call (713) 313-1059 for more information.
- University of Houston – is accepting applications from enrolled students whose universities are unable to open due to this disaster. UH is waiving the application fee and students will more than likely be charged in-state tuition. Limited housing accommodations are available. Call (713) 743-2255 for more information.