Library Marketing just posted an informative piece on blogging and social networking for libraries. What Jill recommends:
Done right, I think librarians can be a welcome addition to blogs and social networks by:
- Adding value to our services from our patrons’ perspective
- Being respectful of the social environment we’re a part of (no library-ese, no sales pitches)
- Inserting our expertise and resources in a relevant way (such as in response to an expressed need, as Brian’s initiative does)
- Monitoring discussions to assess needs and improve our services
- Having fun and engaging patrons!